I’m a Canadian-born 3D artist and Illustrator based in Winnipeg. My skills include digital and traditional illustration as well as 3D computer graphics. I'm graduating from the Digital Media Design program at Red River College and have studied Fine Arts at the University of Manitoba.
Get in Touch!
Series of personal paintings ranging from the summer of 2015 to the present, an exploration of colour and painting techniques.
Clip Studio Paint
KT Character Design
This character design project spanned a few years, including a character sheet and turnaround as well as illustrations.
Cartoon-Character Design sheet
October 2015 - December 2016
MERV Graphics and Layout
Work done on the creation of a small
Zine. I created all the graphics, layouts and text content for each page. The final version was printed and bound in stenciled watercolour paper.
Dino Diner: VR game environment
This project was created within a 3 week internship at The Campfire Union in Winnipeg Manitoba, where I and another intern were responsible for all of the concepts, models and final composition of the scene. The scene will be included in their new VR animation studio, Flipside.
Together, we pitched 3 concepts to the team, researched art direction and greyboxed the scene in VR. I was responsible for concepting and modeling the coffee, ice cream and milkshake machines, as well as the oven and the layout of the scene. I Also created all of the smaller objects for the scene, as well as the environment outside the window of the diner and the three food posters on one of the walls.
To view the scene in a 360 panorama, visit my Facebook page!
Using characters I designed previously, I decided to model, texture and animate two of my robots for easy viewing in Sketchfab. My objective was to have 2 models, under 1500 faces each, with simple idle animations and simple texture maps optimized for Sketchfab.
For this project, I wanted to practice low-poly modeling optimized for viewing in Sketchfab. Working in low-poly was always something I liked, and using my somewhat recent creation of several robot characters I decided to see what I could make.
The first step was to model them according to my previous concepts. The designs for them were very simple, and I thought about how I could best translate the 2D graphics to a 3D model. I decided to limit myself to having each of them be less than 1500 faces (quads and tris), and decided to limit my textures to one 2k base colour, bump and metalness map for each robot to be plugged into Sketchfab.
After the modeling was complete, it was time to unwrap UV's and create the texture map for each robot. Surprisingly, R3, with their round shapes and smoother nature, was easier to UV than MERV, who had way more parts and had lots of room for warping.
Since both texture maps each belonged to one cohesive chatacter, I tried to keep all of the shells the same size in relation to eachother. This way, no matter what I decided to do with the textures, none of the texture resolutions would look different and distracting.
While choosing the colours and shades, I definitely did not want to stick to pure greys, even though the graphics were in pure greyscale. So I picked some warmer greys, and a rich brown for MERV's coat and boots.
As for the bump maps, I put in some details to pull together the character's looks and leather texture to add some dimension to MERV's coat and boots. When loading them into Sketchfab, I noticed how strong the leather texture became, so I ran a nBump script in Photoshop to make it match the simplicity of the other textures.
After making sure everything looked good in Sketchfab, I started working on the idle animations for MERV and R3. Without any rigging, I was limited in the movements I could achieve that would transfer over to Sketchfab.
So, instead of trying to create elaborate animations, I gave each part subtle and natural-looking movements to convey a "living" character. By only animating small movements, I was able to limit warping and maximize the amount of character in the animation.
All in all, I'm happy with the outcome of this project, and will consider modeling more of these characters in a similar way. I found many solutions for lowering poly-count and next time will make sure that joints are more easily animated without a rig. Rigging is definitely something else that I could benefit from learning.
Next on the docket is one more character and a matching low-poly interior!